Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Day 8 - L'Chi Lach - The Song

When I think about beautiful Jewish music, the first musician that comes to mind is Debbie Friedman.  Her music is stirring and soulful, with just the right blend of Hebrew & English.  I have several of her CDs and I never grow tired of listening to them.

One of my favorite songs is "L'Chi Lach", which was the name I chose for this blog... even if it is spelled a little different.  Variations in spelling is one of the most interesting things in translating Hebrew to English, as evidenced by all the different ways to spell Chanukkah!

So this morning I woke up and began thinking about "my journey" to Israel.  The next thing I knew, Debbie's lovely song was playing in my head.  I also thought about how it was just a little over a year ago, that Debbie met an untimely death - at the age of 59.  It is always such a shame when someone so young and with so much talent leaves this planet so early.  I guess her recorded songs are the legacy she leaves us.  So I thought I would post a YouTube video I found that is a tribute to Debbie Friedman and the song - L'Chi Lach.


L'CHI LACH
Music by Debbie Friedman
Lyrics by Debbie Friedman and Savina Teubal
Based on Genesis 12:1-2


L'chi lach, to a land that I will show you.
Leich l'cha, to a place you do not know
L'chi lach, on your journey I will bless you.
And (you shall be a blessing) (3x) l'chi lach.

L'chi lach. and I shall make your name great.
Leich l'cha, and all shall praise your name.
L'chi lach, to the place that I will show you.
(L'sim-chat cha-yim) (3x) l'chi lach
And (you shall be a blessing) (3x) 1'chi lach.



Debbie Friedman Tribute - L'Chi Lach