Monday, April 23, 2012

Day 28 - Santa Barbara "Teach-In on Israel"

Yesterday I had an incredible opportunity for learning about Israel.  As luck would have it, I was able to attend the "Sixth Annual Teach-In on Israel", hosted by the Israel Committee of Santa Barbara (IC-SB).  The  program was held at the UC Santa Barbara's Hillel - a beautiful Jewish student center.  This educational event was billed as "a day of learning, schmoozing, and fabulous food".  True to their word, the IC-SB kept us fed (quite nicely I might add) all day long - breakfast, lunch, and snacks!

The keynote speakers were:
  • David Siegel - Consul General of Israel in Los Angeles
  • Tal Becker - Fellow at the Shalom Hartman Institute Institute in Jerusalem, as well as an International Associate at the Washington Institute for Near East Policy
  • Gershom Gorenberg - Author of "The Unmaking of Israel", and several other books on the history and politics of Israel 
In addition to the three keynote speakers, there were also morning and afternoon breakout sessions.  I attended a fabulous mini-lecture given by Dr. Roberta Seid, a lecturer on Middle East Studies at UC Irvine.  Her "101 of Israel's History" was just fascinating.  I only wish that we had been given an additional hour to cover her entire timeline.

I spent the entire day at this educational program.  Since it was in Santa Barbara, afterwards I was able to take a walk on the shores of a nearby beach.  I wanted to just absorb all that I had learned, plus enjoy a little "ocean time".  As I watched the almost setting sun shimmer on the water, I marvelled at where I was.  The beaches of Santa Barbara are so beautiful.  I felt so blessed that I was able to travel to this wonderful day of learning about Israel at this gorgeous coastal city.  What a treasured day!