Sunday, April 1, 2012

Day 6 - Free Trip to Israel

Yesterday, as I was editing my synagogue's newsletter, I learned that three young people from our congregation are going on a "Birthright Trip" to Israel in May.  Lucky ducks.

Taglit -Birthright Trips are a 10 day - all expenses paid "educational trip" to Israel. The program covers everything: airfare, hotel, transportation, sightseeing attractions, and food.  Tripsters are guaranteed to visit at least three cities during their 10 day excursion, which usually includes:  Jerusalem, Tel Aviv, and Haifa.

So what's the catch?  There is none.  This is a program that funded by the Israeli Government, Jewish Organizations world-wide, and private Jewish philanthropists.  The idea behind the program is to encourage all Jewish kids - ages 18 to 26 - to strengthen their Jewish identity and help them establish a personal connection with Israel.

The program began twelve years ago and has already sent 300,000 young adults - from over 50 countries - to Israel.  The program has rave reviews and the kids come back with a great sense of Jewish history and deep affection for the land of Israel.  So these trip advisers must be doing something right.

I have already talked to my sons about this incredible opportunity and they are VERY excited.  My eldest is 16, so it won't be long before he qualifies to go.  With this program, he might even get to Israel before I do.  Yikes!

Anyway, I just thought it was wonderful to learn about this program.  I think it is an incredible opportunity.  I wish something like this had been around when I was a "young person".