Friday, April 13, 2012

Day 18 - Hi Tech Country

Anyone who knows me knows that I am a computer geek.  I love my computer.  I love my laptop.  And I love my iPad.  When I first began thinking about traveling to Israel, I wondered how I would survive without a computer?  Lucky for me, it looks like the Israelis are a nation of computer geeks too.

Of course the big question will be whether I am able to find Internet Cafes that have computers with "English" keyboards.  I know that it would be an incredible challenge to try and pound out an email in Hebrew - let's just say "impossible".  However, since everyone back home is going to want to read any communications in English... having an English keyboard is going to be a neccessity.

All kidding aside (I am sure that there will be tons of "English Only" computers.  Here are some interesting technology statistics about Israel:
  • Israel has the highest percentage in the world of home computers per capita.
  • With more than 3,000 high-tech companies and start-ups, Israel has the highest concentration of hi-tech companies in the world (apart from the Silicon Valley).
  • The cell phone was developed in Israel by Motorola, which has its largest development center in Israel.
  • Most of the Windows NT operating system was developed by Microsoft-Israel.
  • The Pentium MMX Chip technology was designed in Israel at Intel.
  • Voice mail technology was developed in Israel.
  • Both Microsoft and Cisco built their only R&D facilities outside the US in Israel.
  • The technology for AOL Instant Messenger was developed in 1996 by four young Israelis.