Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Day 16 - Flower Power

Just as I was leaving my house yesterday, I noticed my front garden of blooming for Spring.  The daffodils have already opened up and look just delightful. Their tulip cousins are almost ready to put in their yearly appearance.  Unfortunately, since I will be away for several weeks, I am going to have to miss the "show" this year.  I will probably arrive home just in time to see nothing but green stalks. Darn.

Knowing all this, I was intrigued to read in the Jerusalem Post about the big flower show going on in Israel this week. In honor of Passover, the Haifa International Flower Exhibition is up and running.  This annual tradition began 19 years ago and is considered Israel's largest flower exhibition.

The show, which runs from April 7th to April 14th, is a 30 acre exhibit in the coastal city of Haifa. The exhibit includes nine different "flower worlds", each housed in it's own dome and has a different theme:
  1. Flower World
  2. Paris Boulevard
  3. Hanging Gardens
  4. Land of the Rising Sun
  5. Wild World
  6. Senses Land
  7. Fantasy Land
  8. Never Land
  9. Vanishing Garden
To create the different flower "worlds", Danish artists and flower designers traveled to Israel and built 9 separate domes (combination of metal and canvas).  To create the exhibits, 500,000 flowers were shipped in and are now on display.

I think things like this are so cool. While I love art, it's even more appealing when it is combined with the beauty of flowers.  I would just love to be able to stroll through an exhibition like this.  It would be awesome if this show is running when I am traveling through Israel. The city of Haifa is definately on the list now.