Monday, April 16, 2012

Day 21 - By the Sea

Yesterday was one of those sunny days in California that are so gorgeous you wonder why everyone in American doesn't live here?  Or at the very least, why don't I live here?

In the afternoon, we drove to Ventura to shop at a coastal Farmers Market and then made a pit-stop at the beach.  Everytime I see the ocean it never ceases to amaze me.  It's magnificence and grandeur literally takes my breath away.  The Pacific Ocean (my personal favorite) it is always right where I left it - shinning and sparkling in the sun.  The waves endlessly pound on the shore.  It's just like one big show that never ends.  To me, the ocean is the most timeless world wonder that I can NEVER get enough of.

So today, when I learned that Israel is a haven for beach lovers all I could think was - hurray!  In Israel they have some 137 beaches and many of them are regarded as the best beaches in the world.  The country of Israel is unique in that it has four "seas": Mediterranean, Red Sea, Dead Sea, and the Sea of Galilee.  To be honest, the Sea of Galilee is really a fresh water lake, so the number of "real" seas is actually only three. 

The Mediterranean coast sports the highest number of beaches and they are probably similar to the beaches of California.  Even if it's just because when you look out at the waves, you face west. 

In Netanya, Hebrew for "Gift of God", one of the beaches is called Sironit.  Here, they have a glass-walled "beach elevator" that whisks you down from the cliff-top promenade to the seashore in just 20 seconds.  All for the price of just one shekel. Note to self - I need to find the rate of exchange of shekels.  Having spent a lot of time navigating stairs to and from the Oregon Coast beaches... I would say that having a beach elevator would seem like a "gift of God" to me.

The Red Sea, is located at the southern most tip of Israel, at the resort town of Eliat.  The beach I would like to visit there is called "Dolphin Reef".  While this beach does require visitors to pay an admission fee... I think it's worth it.  The beach is very quiet and has umbrellas for you to relax under.  Better still, there are dophins that you can hop in the water and swim with.  Finally, they offer music-infused relaxation pools to chill out in.  Wow.  Sounds like a cross between Sea World and a Spa.

Another beach worth checking out in Eliat is the Coral Beach Nature Reserve.  Here you can rent snorkeling gear and check out the colorful fish and coral formations.  While I have never snorkeled before, this might provide a good enough reason for me to finally learn how.

Finally, there are some terrific beaches on the Dead Sea.  This area looks quite fascinating.  Apparently, the Dead Sea is actually below "sea level" and is surrounded by several mountain ranges.  The Moab Mountains are to the East and the Judean Mountains are to the West.  The health and healing benefits of the Dead Sea are so numerous that I think it warrants it's own blog entry.  So stay tuned for more information on the Dead Sea.

All in all, I was so excited to learn about the beaches of Israel.  I think I could have an incredible time spending 100 days JUST walking along the coast.  Knowing that Israel is a beach bum's paradise, I think I am going to have a hard time seeing the rest of the country!