Saturday, June 30, 2012

Day 96: Jerusalem Botanical Gardens

For my birthday this year, my husband promised to build me a waterfall for my back garden.  Ever since we moved into this house, I have been wanting a secret little garden, that I could call my own.  Last year, it began with a bench, where I could sit and just be.  This year, my garden has gotten more elaborate, with a zen-like water feature.

When I discovered that Jerusalem had a really nice botanical garden,  I just knew I'd want to visit.  This place sounds really awesome.  It is a 30-acre nature retreat - right in the heart of Israel's largest city.  With shady paths, small waterfalls, and even a private lake, it just sounds so tranquil.

They say the best time to visit is in the Spring, as that's the time of year most of the flowers are in bloom. The garden has over 10,000 species of flower, from all around the world.  And, it also claims to have the largest collection of bonsai trees in the entire world!  I thought that was kind of unusual.

The garden is organized by geographic region, with separate sections for: Europe, Africa, Australia, Asia, and the Mediterranean.  In addition, they also have a herb garden and a tropical house.  Since the gardens are located in Israel, it's only fitting that they have a section devoted exclusively to plants of the Bible.  That section alone consists of over 70 plant species.

Regarding tours, several different options exist, ranging from a walking tour, segway tour, and self-guided tours with maps.  They even have a small train that runs along the perimeter of the park, that visitors can climb aboard for a guided tour. Personally, I think I would prefer to just meander along the pathways and breathe in the quiet.  Just take some time to stop and smell the flowers - literally.

P.S.  Two days ago, my husband finished building the waterfall for my backyard.  It has totally exceeded expectations and I am one step closer to having the secret garden of my dreams.