Thursday, June 21, 2012

Day 87: Going Home

This past week, I learned of the tragic death of a family I knew of back in Arizona.  They were members of the synagogue we used to belong to. My sons were in the same class as their kids at Religious School.  The mom and dad I knew casually as parents you chit chat with while waiting for your children to be dismissed from Hebrew School.

While their senseless deaths are just devastating, I found it particularly sad that this family was planning a trip to Israel this summer. Since the mother was a native born Israeli, they were "going home" to visit family.

I learned that the Israeli relatives have arrived in the United States to take the mother and three children back to Israel for burial.  The family is requesting donations to help pay for the transportation and burial costs.  Because cremation is traditionally not accepted in Judaism, the cost of transporting four bodies internationally is going to be very expensive.  The family is so committed to fulfilling this goal (it was the mom's wish) that they are prepared to mortgage their home to make it happen.

Since going to Israel is my dream, it only seems right that I do something to help this family get there too.  So, yesterday I went to the bank and made a donation to the family's burial fund.  It just breaks my heart to think that this family's summer trip to Israel was hijacked from a vacation to their final resting place.

I don't know if I will ever hear where the family is buried.  But if I do, I will be sure to pay my respects by placing a small stone on each grave.  This age-old Jewish tradition helps preserve the memory of the deceased.  Just as a stone lasts forever - so too does the soul.