Friday, June 8, 2012

Day 74 - Israel - Ultimate Destination

This week's Torah portion is "Behaaloscha" - Numbers 8:1-12:16.  What takes place in this part of the Bible is that the Jewish people are in the midst of the journey from Egypt to Israel.  At this juncture, the people are getting a little cranky.  The road has become long and the journey has become hard.  Moses, who is an incredible leader declares, "We are traveling now to our ultimate destination - the Land of Israel".

Unfortunately, the people just don't share Moses' enthusiasm and really aren't sure about sticking with the plan.  Instead, they start contemplating their other options.  They can remain in the desert and continue living a life with super-natural miracles - like manna from heaven and an endless supply of water.  But, they are already getting sick and tired of eating the same thing every day (kind of sounds like some diets I've been on).  They can go back to Egypt - to the life they once knew.  But, that would entail becoming slaves again.  Since they've been through changes due to witnessing some miraculous experiences (splitting seas, 10 commandments, etc,) they are no longer the same people.

Ultimately, the people decide that their only real option is to press forward with Moses and continue to the Promised Land.  However, they do so reluctantly, and with a heavy heart.  As modern day readers, we already know the end of this story - this group of disgruntled travelers are not going to make it.  Instead, they are all going to mess up big time, and as a result, they will be doomed to 40 years of wandering through the dessert.  It is only the next generation - their children - that are going to be allowed to cross over.

So the moral of the story seems to be - if you want to get to Israel - you need to have a good attitude.  To reach the ultimate destination requires commitment and enthusiasm.  While it's true that Israel has been a refuge for Jews all over the world, we must never lose sight of the fact that it's a really special place that shouldn't be taken for granted.  Especially since, Moses, who was so unwavering in leading the Jewish people to Israel, never got to enter the land himself.  While it might have been our "ultimate destination", it was only Moses' "ultimate journey".

I see this week's Torah portion as a great metaphor for reaching some work-related and personal goals I am currently working on.  Sometimes it truly feels like the road is long and much to hard.  However, I have to remember that there are only three options - go back, stay where I am, or press on.  Most times, I know that moving forward is really are only true option.

I also see how this is a message for my trip to Israel.  I'd like to think that I share Moses' enthusiasm for reaching this ultimate destination.  As I continue to author this blog, my belief that I will really get there becomes stronger and stronger.  It's as if each post is another step in the journey - helping me to reach my destination.  Instead of just hoping I will get to Israel - I know I will get to Israel.