Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Day 64 - Learning to Weave

I love shawls and I love scarves.  Whenever I am in a store, farmers market, or art show that has these textiles for sale, I usually come home with a new one for my collection.

I have always had a dream to learn how to weave.  Perhaps it's my link to the Jewish matriarch, Rachel, who I share my Hebrew name with?  Whenever I think of her weaving that "Coat of Many Colors" for Joseph, I have always thought how cool that would be to make a jacket like that for sons.  And, if I could learn how to weave a shawl or scarf for myself - bonus!

I was very excited to learn about a place in Israel, Kedma Ancient Crafts, that specializes in teaching people how to weave.  Their 5 hour workshop promises to teach visitors the entrire process - from fleece to fabric.  Participants learn how to spin, dye, and weave fabric.  All in just 5 hours - wow!

The goal of Kedma Ancient Crafts is to help reintroduce crafts and skills from the past - that has long been forgotten.  The creator of Kedma Ancient Crafts is Suri Provisor.  She is an Israeli artist who is very connected to the ancient land she lives in:
"One of the things that I really love about weaving is the way it connects us through our hands  to all cultures around the world and to many many generations before us. I love to think while I’m weaving about all the hands that did the same things that mine do."
Originally a student of archaeology, Suri developed a love and passion for weaving.  Some of the specialty items she makes by hand are: talits, shawls, pillows, and baby slings.  Her products are hand-dyed and made of natural cotton.

Kedma Ancient Crafts is located north of Jerusalem in Shilo, Benyamin.  I definitely plan to visit this beautiful area of Israel and sign up for one of the weaving workshops.  Even if I end up having no talent for weaving, I know that I will be coming home with one of Suri's beautiful handwoven shawls to add to my collection.