Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Day 1 - The Journey Begins


Lech-Lecha (לֶךְ-לְךָ)  is the Hebrew word for "go!", "leave!", or "go for you". It is a famous phrase in Judaism, that comes straight from the Torah.

"G-d told Abraham to leave his native land for a land that G-d would show him." (Genesis 12:1).

The land that Abraham was destined to travel to was Israel.  I reckon that if Abraham could begin his journey at the age of 75, then I can begin mine at 51.  I also have the added benefit of not having to travel by camel!  Unless I want to.  I'm going to have to think long and hard about that one.  I haven't ridden a horse in years, so I am not too sure how I would fare on a camel.

One thousand days from today, on December 23, 2014, I plan to board an airplane bound for Israel.  My goal will be to spend 100 days visiting the country of Israel --- Wednesday, December 24, 2014 through Friday, April 3, 2015.  My visit of 100 days will have me arriving to celebrate the 8th day of Chanukah and leaving on the 1st day of Passover (staying just long enough to attend a Seder in Jerusalem the night before). 

For me, this is going to be the trip of a lifetime.  Visiting Israel is something that I have always wanted to do.  Unfortunately, it has always been a "one day" goal.  Unfortunately, those "one day" dreams just never seem to  materialize. 

A wise friend (thank you Sue) told me that the difference between a dream and a goal is that you've got to have a plan.  So, now I have exactly 1000 days to get busy and plan my trip.  I want to get real clear on the things I want to do, places I want to go, and people I want to see.

While the journey may be huge... it still can only begin with a single step.  So I plan to use this blog to record my thoughts, plans, and wishes.